Thursday, May 28, 2009

Funeral

Today we attended the funeral of Lucas Smith. Before leaving for the funeral I was trying to decide how much to tell Addison, because I was afraid that she'd blurt out things that she shouldn't say, but didn't want her completely confused. I thought I'd start off by just telling her we were going to see Donna at church at the funeral. (Donna is Lucas' mom).... So I told her that much and she got very excited and said "Donna is my friend!" So I said yes, she's your friend make sure to give her a hug. The next thing out of her mouth was "Will Lucas be there too?" And then I didn't know what to say.

On our way to the funeral I told Matt about our conversation and told him I was afraid she might ask Donna if Lucas was going to be there or ???? So I thought we should tell her SOMETHING about where Lucas was. Matt took a stab at it-- we told her again that Donna would be there and she was happy about that again and again asked "Lucas too?" To which Matt just replied "Lucas is in Heaven now", all she kept asking is "what took him to Heaven"-- we replied "God did" and then she wanted to know "Does Lucas work in Heaven?" (Because the only reason to NOT attend church or other events is because we're at work!) So we told her yes, Lucas works in Heaven.

Once we got to church we went up to hug the family-- and the casket was by Donna of course.... Addison caught a glimpse of the casket and the man in the casket and wouldn't look away. Once we got to our pew to sit down she asked "What's that man doing lying in bed?"..... again, how to respond?!

Just a tough thing for a little girl to grasp-- and don't want to say too much and have her confused like by saying "Lucas died because he was sick"-- I've heard then kids will think every time mom & dad get sick they might get worried and think we'll die too......... :(

No comments: